.

Monday, November 30, 2009

Is It Worth It?

Hello all, this post has nothing really to do with my weight loss or anything of the sort it's just something I felt the need to write about. I will be back to regular blogging tomorrow :-)
 



I found out today that a co-worker of mine passed away last night from lung cancer. I wasn't close to this co-worker but I saw her around a lot and I knew who she was. Two of her daughters also work where I do. One is in her late 20's and the other is 16. 


For some reason I was very affected when I heard the news of her passing. I think it was because she worked up until last Friday, 2 days before she died. I'm sure she had some idea that her time here was getting shorter and shorter but I'm guessing she had no idea that Sunday would be her last day to see her daughters or her grandchildren. She had no idea that Friday would be the last time she was at work. 


I got irritated with my boyfriend earlier because he has a habit of rescheduling the nights that we see each other. I thought about how I was feeling and asked myself, "is it worth it"?


You never know what will happen. You never know when the last time will be that you hug a parent or close friend. I don't mean to sound morbid but it's the truth.


No one is perfect. I am not and neither are you. There will be plenty of times in my life that I will fight with someone or have an argument. I will say things I don't mean and apologize more than I should have to. You will do that same. 


From now on I am going to do my best to pick my battles. Decide what is worth fighting over and what is not. I will do my best to "agree to disagree" without hurting the feelings of someone I love. 


I ask you to do the same.


I care about each and every one of you.


I don't want any of you or me to have any regrets when the inevitable happens and we lose a loved one. 


Ask yourself if it's worth it. If you really should be angry about whatever you're angry about or if it would just be easier to let it go. I know that for me 9 times out of 10 it's not worth it.


I don't tell my loved ones enough that I love them, that I care deeply about them and that I appreciate everything, big and small, that they do. 




Eloise,
I hope you are watching over your daughters and giving them some comfort in this terribly hard time in their lives. They love you dearly and so do many other people. You will be missed, I hope you are resting in peace.

5 comments:

  1. We humans all rarely appreciate what we have until we dont have it. Thank you for such a great post to remind me that the socks on the floor are not worth yelling about. Tonight I'm going to really appreciate my family!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was amazing.. truly amazing. Beautiful.

    You are absolutely right. Choose our battles wisely. Agree to disagree. We don't tell the ppl we love that we love them enough times. I don't think thats humanly possible.

    So thought provoking. Loved this.. Thank you for sharing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this. My daughter was just asking if she could sit with me and I told her no because it's hard to use the lap top with her on my lap also. I know if someone ever took her wanting to sit on my lap away from me I would be crushed! I just don't think about it like that in the spur of the moment. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sorry to hear about your friend.
    i always try to remember this, but sometimes it's very easy to get caught up in the mundane things and forget. life is so fragile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To a large extent, we can't choose what happens to us, but we can to some extent dictate how some things happen, or try to prevent them.

    We make mistakes sometimes and we have regrets, but it's about what you're willing to allow those things to do to you.

    The main thing is to keep believing in yourself and your own self worth, because the day someone just gives in completely and utterly, is the day they might as well go live in a cave and end it all one day, as just a forgotten speck in history.

    I will probably never go out with a bang, or end up quoted in a book, or be talked about in history lessons at school one day, but I'll certainly not give in and let fate do with me what it will and I will keep believing that I have 100+ years in me, because I will never be a prophet of my own doom and I don't care how many people in my life never like me, there's plenty that will and i'll reward those people, if nothing else, with an occasional joke and a well intentioned positive comment.

    I'll make my mark(s), one way or another, even if history will say, I impacted on 0.0001% of my nations people and then permits that figure to get even smaller with time, when I'm just a name on a document somewhere, a thousand years later, to say I happened :-p :-p.

    So just keep being yourself, because in your case it's the best way to be and you ARE human, but in many ways you have a beautiful personality to be proud of.

    :-) :-).

    Matt

    ReplyDelete