.

Monday, September 28, 2009

Proud

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend! Mine was very quiet and relaxing.
 
Friday, my mom and I went shopping. When we got home we ordered subs from Milio's. They have the most amazing subs!! I always get the "Californian" which has turkey, cheese, sprouts, lettuce, guacamole and tomatoes. It is soooo good but it's about 750 calories for the entire 8inch sub. Don't worry I didn't eat the whole sub in one sitting! I cut it into 3 equal parts and had one for dinner, one for lunch Saturday and one for dinner Saturday. I also paired this with super yummy strawberries and cucumbers. 

 
 
Saturday was pretty lazy. Got up around noon to an empty house and after eating another third of my sandwich from the previous night (with strawberries and cucumbers of course) I decided to take our dog Cassius on a walk. We walked a little over a mile in 25 minutes. It wasn't a fast walk I just had the urge to get outside and enjoy the fall weather.  I lazed around for the rest of the day until about 6 and then I headed to the gym and after that rented the movie "I love you man" with my cousin. This is an amazing movie that you should definitely see if you haven't!! We ate some popcorn, drank some water and just had a fun time.
 
Sunday was more of the same. Did some laundry, cleaned the bathrooms and watched football. Did everyone see that amazing finish to the Vikings game? :-) I then went grocery shopping and back home for some family time before the gym. About 7:30 we heard a super loud banging on the outside of our house so we looked outside and hail was falling! Yea, that's right hail and it isn't even October yet! Ugh I'm not looking forward to winter!!
 
Last night at the gym I was sitting on the oblique machine taking a quick breather between sets when I looked to my right and saw a man that had just gotten done using the shoulder press machine and was writing on his paper his sets/reps. This man had to weigh close to 400 pounds. I looked to my left and saw a woman walking on the treadmill who probably weighs as much as I do and on the treadmill behind her was an athletic looking man running. On an ab machine in front of me there was an elderly man doing crunches. A smile immediately came to my face because I felt proud. I was proud of the heavy-set man because at 9 o'clock on a Sunday night he was at the gym instead of at home sitting on the couch. I was proud of the other two for the same reason. The elderly man just blew me away with the amount of crunches he was doing. He could easily use his age as an excuse to sit on his butt; however, he was slamming out those crunches like nobody's business. The gym inspires me because every time I go there I know I am surrounded by people who made the same decision as me get up off the couch, put down the chips and be healthy. Whether they've never been overweight or they've been overweight their whole life they all made the decision to put their health first. I'm proud to say that I am now part of this "group".

3 comments:

  1. I'm surprised no one told the old man about things like Roman Chairs, Hanging Leg Raises, Planks etc etc, as those Abs machines are pretty poor, and some people use them with bad head positioning as well.

    Though Gyms that have those sorts of things, won't do them down, and coax people away from using them, or they become wastes of money.

    You can be proud of you too for being there. It has been a bit of a struggle to start with, but very much to your credit, it has gotten better and more consistent, and you haven't gotten really frustrated and jacked it in like some do.

    In time, you will need to make more tweaks when you're more significantly lower down the weight scale, as it will get a bit harder for sure, but you can be very proud of much of what you've done upto now. I can appreciate it's hard and very emotionally and mentally challenging, but it is worth it, and you DO deserve a better physical state, that you can be really proud of and use to inspire others.

    You have a great way of telling your story, so who knows, maybe in the future, motivational speaking perhaps, or books with useful advice and personal experiences, for others to learn from, especially because, (although this isn't meant to sound bad), people who lose a lot of weight can often be more inspiring than those who lose a small amount, because it proves to some people who think they can't do it, that they can, if they are trying to lose something like 100lbs per se, and someone else has gone 150+, and sustained it.

    To me, if you can keep this going and gain a more inspring physique, which you CAN do, you will become more of an inspiration and rolemodel with time.

    Yours is a story, just waiting to be made into a published magazine article perhaps, or an inspirational internet write-up.

    So lots of positives and maybe a few things to think about.

    Keep up the hard work and GOOD LUCK. You really, really are such a lovely and sweet natured young Lady, and you do deserve the results you are working towards.

    Take care and best wishes.

    :-) :-).

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great movie, I saw it in the theatre and actually liked it enough to check it out to watch again.

    Thats wonderful that you don't have gym phobia. I have a membership but rarely use it. I tend to get most of my exercise outside since the weather is nice here. I try to convince myself to use the gym but am more than a little intimidated of the weight machines. Cardio I'm good on, but point me in the direction of weights and I freeze.

    Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog. I appreciate the support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job splitting the sandwich! That would be hard to do - very impressive! Hope you had a great week.

    ReplyDelete